Wednesday 5 January 2022

Photography - and what it means to me

 At the age of 16, I wanted to become a photographer. In my twenties, I acquired Preisen will ich die grossen Männer (Let Us Now Praise Famous Men) by Walker Evans and James Agee, a rather expensive book for my student budget. In my mid-forties, I wrote a master thesis on documentary photography in which Evans' and Agee's work figured prominently. Encouraged by my personal tutor and my thesis supervisor, I began to regularly write on (mainly documentary) photography. After twenty years of thinking about photography, I got increasingly tired of it and turned to taking pictures. Because of that I learned that my interest is less in the stories behind a picture but in aesthetics. I do not need explanations any more, it is enough to frame what pleases my eyes.

Santa Cruz do Sul, Brazil, 4 December 2021

Surcasti, Switzerland, 9 November 2021

Debrecen, Hungary, 24 October 2021

I'm not sure why photography attracts me but I guess that part of it is that I've always felt that what I truly liked couldn't really be said but had to be shown.

For more pics, see https://hansdurrer.tumblr.com/

No comments: