Wednesday 25 November 2015

Thai Ways


Jing is a native of Bangkok, we know each other for 25 years. And, she still surprises me. We are on our way to lunch and almost there when all of a sudden she stops and asks: Do you want something from 7/11? No, I say. She opens the door, looks at me and says: No? I want air condition and in she goes ...

The timetable says that the train ride from Lat Krabang to Chachoengsao takes 43 minutes. The ticket counter opens ten minutes before departure. The ticket costs 7 Baht. My 100 Baht note seems to cause problems and so I look for change but all I have is a 5 Baht coin. Okay, okay, says the guy behind the counter and grabs my 5 Baht. That was most definitely my cheapest train ride ever ...
I felt truly excited that the breakfast buffet in my hotel included sushi ... and slightly less excited that the guy in front of me seemed determined to finish it off ...

At the bus station. One look and I knew this was the typical reckless driver. I was wrong, he proved to be considerate and really easy-going. For about ten minutes, that is. From then on he behaved exactly like the reckless driver I had imagined him to be. Sometimes, appearances do not deceive ...
In Bangsaen, I would like to inquire about the room rates but the middle-aged lady at the reception is busy on the phone. After eyeing me for a considerable while, she hands me what she seems to have decided were my room keys ...

"Hap acciden" is an expression often heard in Thailand and among the things that cause accidents motorbikes figure prominently. So I somewhat reluctantly chose one day to give it yet another try. That was in Pattaya. I was given a helmet that did not exactly fit my head but I nevertheless felt sort of reassured. And, it must be said, the young female driver also rode, as I had clearly demanded (that much Thai I know), rather slowly and so I felt considerably safe ... until her mobile phone rang which of course she answered ...
Pattaya is very probably the craziest place on earth. Literally every thing is for sale here, capitalism running riot. To me, it is the ideal place for having tailor-made pants and shirts at bargain prices. And, for the best and cheapest Thai food I can think of. It is however also a place that makes me rather often feel irritated, sad, and depressed.

No comments: