Wednesday 20 October 2010

Indian Photography

Although I've never been to India, I have listened to stories by people who've been there and read quite some novels about the Indian universe. In other words, I have visited India many times mentally and therefore had a pretty good idea of what to expect when I opened PRIVATE's issue on "Other Side India" (number 43, winter 2008-09) - and then, of course, almost all looked like what I did not expect. The coalminers portrayed by Arindam Mukherjee and by Srinivas Kuruganti, for instance, reminded me of Sebastião Salgado's Brazilian goldminers; of the bandwhallas, for many years Kolkata's party entertainers, I had never heard, and that there was a Catholic community in Goa was also entirely new to me. And there is still more to be discovered. It is a learning experience to spend time with this valuable tome.

Copyright @ Sucheta Das / Gauri Gill

Copyright @ Arindam Mukherjee

Copyright @ Bijoy Chowdhury

Copyright @ Prabuddha Dasgupta

Copyright @ Srinivas Kuruganti

No comments: